Tuesday, October 2, 2012

aPad-6:Hate is Such a Strong Word

A Paragraph a Day: Hate is Such a Strong Word

"Can we go to Barnes and Nobles, mom?" the teen girl asked her mom.
"No. I hate books."

THIS IS A TRANSCRIPT of a real discussion, and all I want to say is . . . I hate you!!!!

NO. Maybe I don't, I just don't understand how someone can hate imagination in writing. That's like hating your own mind, story telling, and words. I assume if someone in that woman's family was crushed to death by a full shelf range of thick Stephen King and Tom Clancy novels, then I can understand. Be vindictive against books, for sure. But, and I only assume because I don not know either the mother or daughter from the above quote, saying you hate books is not cool. It's actually a little too strong of a word choice to use.

I GET IT. Not all people read, not all people play games, or watch movies, or play sports and I support this. Hey, I could not be considered a sports fan, but I don't say I hate sports. Everyone has their own leisure activities and can do as he or she pleases.

FOR ME, I don't know what I would have done without books in kindergarten up until now. No Amelia Bedelia, no giving mice cookies or finding some stalker named Waldo, no goosebumps over my arm, no bloodied Carrie, and the list goes on. I'd probably go crazy. Maybe, I'd even start disliking books to the point I'd rig some book shelf to collapse.

MORAL OF TODAY'S STORY: Don't hate books. Drink Milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment