Wednesday, October 17, 2012

aPad-16: Editor's Note*

A Paragraph a Day: Editor's Note*

MET with an editor of one of my novels today. Advice I took from our Starbucks meeting (ears open, writer's and creators alike): Be consistent.

YES, sir or madam, you heard it hear . . . consistency counts. Why? Many reasons, of course! Characters change in the span of a story, but they should act like themselves in any given situation. A jumpy character wouldn't be able to walk into a job interview without a couple of nervous twitches and jerks. Some sound advice I received was to imagine each of my characters to the point I'm able to have a conversation about any topic with them. This will then--hopefully--transmit onto the paper when I'm writing their scenes thus creating consistent characters who act, speak, and move just like they should (like how I imagined them too).

WE all want to craft stories that will suspend our reader's disbelief. Creating consistent, believable characters will help us do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment