Friday, September 13, 2013

Love What You Do Or Prepare to Settle!

All I've ever wanted to do, since I was a child, is create.
Just use my imagination and create.

All I ever LOVED to do was create. Draw, write, make worlds that I enjoyed. And as I got older, I enjoyed sharing these creations with friends and family, classmates and peers, professors and parents. The positive reactions made me proud of my accomplishments, while the scathing reviews cut deep. Either way, I never gave up. I simply improved.

Because, I have always found time to do what I loved. Being a full time writer with a part time job is a lot of work, stress, and self doubt but I love writing. I love creating. No doubt having a full time job with part time writing would be just as hard, maybe harder.

But lately, I've noticed other people who have constructed boundaries between themselves and their passion. Their love in life: too old, too busy, work too many hours, too tired. And it's all BS.

I've been there, and I occasional return to these excuses myself form time to time. But anything worth doing is worth that extra effort, even if it's just ten minutes a day. I'm privileged with a hardened spirit that won't give up which means I will self correct over a short period of time, wiping (at least for a moment) the doubt and defeatist in my mind. I'm also VERY privileged to have such a caring, and loving spouse that tries her best to snap me out of my brooding when it's time to do so. Thanks, boo :)

But more than anything, I'm proud to have this clear image in my mind, something not to off in the distance. I've never doubted my skill or work effort. What I'm doing is never an "if" it's a when. I will write, I will create my own covers, I will learn how to do everything (from formatting to cover design) because I am driven. I will follow the publishing industry and I will create my own course. I will NEVER let others dictate my love of creation. I will be knowledgeable, humble, and remain sincere.

And I will be successful. No. I am successful solely based on the fact I've risked it all to do what I love. Not many people can say that.

I look to the woman next to me, so strong and vigilant: a teacher, a part time job, going to college. And my mother with two jobs, no sleep. Two powerful woman who work harder than most, and I strive to work just as hard.

And you should too. Don't settle. Don't let others tell you what to do especially when you know more than them, when you know better than them. But remain humble and listen; be respectful, but never settle.

From me to all of you, have a very happy weekend and take some risks :)

--Author Jason Jack






No comments:

Post a Comment