Monday, November 18, 2013

Author Jason Jack on 'Over Reliance/Waiting For Others'

Author Jason Jack, what do you think about waiting for help/over-relying on others?
-

Have you ever heard someone say that they don't know how to do something because they haven't been shown? Like, set a clock or get a car wash at a gas station?
As if it's the responsibility of others to show them which sets themselves up for failure when no one comes along to provide assistance?

They're life just isn't as fulfilled because no one came along to show them how to do something. Known or not, they're effectively saying their lives are other people's responsibilities.

I hope we can all hold hands at this point (well, digitally hold hands) and agree that--for the most part--this way of thinking is cancerous to our well being, growth, and our mental states.

When we stop taking responsibility for our lives, we tend to stop caring and achieving. But there is a saying . . .

The Saying

"Don't expect anything from anyone".

My spouse told me this, and this simple five word sentence has changed my life for the better. I was never a die hard "waiting for others" type, but I did have expectations. And these expectations of others were beginning to negatively affect my positive mindset. But, when my better half told me not to expect any help or anything form other people, all of my worries and anxiety washed away.

Why?

My train of thought went something like this: 

  • If I stop waiting/expecting others to do something for me, I will no longer spend time thinking or "wallowing" in those negative emotions, doubts, and thoughts.

That is, if you get rid of the negative catalyst in your life, there's room for the positive. And it worked for me!

  • If I stop waiting/expecting others to do something for me, it would allow me to have better time management and be able to do more things.

That is, instead of waiting for others, you're using that wait time to actually learn what you need to learn, do what you need to do, and grow.

Waiting for others to help you is actually counter productive when you can use that time to help yourself!

  • If I stop waiting/expecting others to do something for me, I will become a harder working knowing my success and self growth is solely up to me.

That is, if you understand you're the only one responsible for your lot in life--and your goal is to achieve big, as I hope it is--you will work harder to achieve your goals. The other option is to do nothing and that isn't progress.

SO . . .

The goal here is to teach yourself what you need to know, be proactive and learn that skill that you need for your next obstacle in life, instead of waiting for others to come along to do it for you. We are all capable of this because we have the strength. We must believe it.

Be driven. That is your mantra for this week, and the next, and the next :)

Me Versus the World?

It is important to lower your expectations of others and to not wait on that mystery person to show you how to do things in life. You'll be of a better mindset, happier, and more productive. But that is not to say there won't be people that will help you. It is equally important to ask questions of others, network, and socialize.

People are important, and so are those closest to you, and you will find those you can count on, but everyone has their own lives to live. Even our parents and spouses won't be available every minute of every day to show us the way, so it's inevitably up to each of us to get up in the morning and take on the world with positive fervor.

We'll learn more by doing so. We'll be better people. And we'll no longer have to wait for it :)

Until next week, start doing!

--Author Jason Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment