Friday, October 4, 2013

You Gotta Learn Something! (7 Things I Learned This Week)

Yo, interneters! Author Jason Jack here to let you know 7 things I learned this week. As the saying goes, learn something everyday. Because, you gotta learn something, right?


What I learned during the week of September 28th-October 4th

1. Signing autographs is uncomfortable experience and I'm a clutz at it.
The pressure! The anxiety to deliver to a person who wants your fancy scribble! It's kind of terrifying in part to the fact that I believe I'm a pretty humble dude. Honestly, I'm no one special. All I've done/am doing is creating and doing what I love to do. Going forward, I will make a game plan for signing my 'graph.

2. Writers don't live forever . . . contrary to what I believe
I always thought Tom Clancy would live forever, creating thick tomes of writing to the joy a legion of fans for all eternity. Hyperbole, sure, but I really never gave thought to a literary world without him or Stephen King, Nora Roberts, or Dean Koontz for that matter. As a writer, they're part of the legacy to follow for young writers like me. So, Tom Clancy, rest in peace and thank you for your contributions to the world.

3. Doubt comes with the territory (of being human) so deal with it
Just because for one moment, or perhaps two, you don't think you can means you can't. Learn to ignore those voices, because it does get better on the other side :)

4. REMINDER: Do the dishes before they pile up! Saves time.
Going forward, I will do the dishes when they get dirty (crosses fingers).

5. Sometimes, it's easy to confuse others expectations of you as your own--but don't do it!
It's pretty easy to internalize what a spouse, parent, or friend wants from you for what you want from yourself. I got confused this week and had a seed of doubt that I learned was not from me. When I realized this, I felt so much better, in control, and relieved I was not doing anything "wrong" but I let another person's wants/needs/doubts into me. Going forward, I will be better prepared to protect myself against this.

6. Even the tiniest effort forward is still going forward
Going forward . . . I will go forward? :) Achieving is still achieving, no matter how big or small.

7. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is addicting!
It's a video game. It's for Nintendo's new home console, the Wii U. It's super duper fun :) (I played 16 hours in about 10 days!!)


-

That's what I learned this week. What did you learn?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

--Author Jason Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment